Monday, January 9, 2012

And four hours later...

And four hours later I find myself holding what has now become a precious belonging. It started as a gift from my grandmother but turned into four hours that I truly will never forget.

I have loved reading for as long as I can remember; probably as long as I have known how to read so a very long time. I'm not sure what it is exactly I love so much but I can take a guess.

1. Reading lets you escape into worlds that your mind can only begin to dream of. It takes you on a journey to places you never thought possible. And no matter what has been going on in your day-to-day grind, reading removes you from that and drops you in a reality void of time or reason.

2. Reading makes you think, and think hard. I have read a lot of books in my literate time, and almost every one makes me explore topics I didn't think of before.

3. Reading makes you feel. Have you ever had that overwhelming sadness when a character in a book has something tragic happen to them or when a character dies? That's what I'm talking about. The good books, make you feel real emotions. They draw you in and keep you there until you're emotional invested in the plot.

So, anyway, as you might have well guessed, the precious item I have come to so dearly love is a book. Written by author Garth Stein, this book truly captured my heart. The Art of Racing in the Rain will forever be one of my favorites. Told through the eyes of man's best friend, this book tells the tale of a family and the hard realities they face. Barely 300 pages, Stein's words are carefully chosen to rely the perfect balance of humor and heart-wrenching sadness. I don't know how anyone, especially dog lovers, could go through this book without shedding more than a few tears. Stein does an exceptional job of portraying each character as a dog would see them. His characters, including the narrator, are complicated and dynamic. The relationships in this book are relatable and yet tragic. And the story resonates with each new idea.

I have read a lot of books, but The Art of Racing in the Rain takes the cake as my all time favorite.
  The Art of Racing in the Rain 

No comments:

Post a Comment